Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sylva Manoogian

I am always on the look out for a good story and this one is a heart warmer. This society ignors the contributions of women, especially older women. Mrs. Manoogian is a wife, mother, teacher, librarian and very active doctorial student at UCLA.

This is the QuickTime Version

This is the Windows Version

In this video, Mrs. Manoogian tells her story of meeting a little boy and the man he will become. Many of us can recall a person that encouraged us to take that next step, or was there to support us no matter our surface appearance. Mentors come in all shapes, sizes, colors and ages.

Mrs. Manoogian was speaking at a forum to encourage folks to concider library careers. This was recorded at the Glendale Public Library.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Good Afternoon!
I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to keep up with the blog. Gena, what marvelous postings you have done since I last checked!!

I especially love Mrs. Manoogian!!! She reminds me of my wonderful 8th grade English teacher. (Yeah, Mrs. Carlson!!!)One of the things I have been wanting to mention is the importance of having mentors, especially when one is embarking on a career change or a new chapter in life. For those of you who are in the LT program at PCC, you are in a perfect position to cultivate mentor relationships with the faculty (or even with the techs). As I've mentioned, I got my LT certificate at a different community college, BUT I met such wonderful faculty who encouraged me to enroll in the MLIS progam at San Jose. They have stood by me and written recommendation letters for admission, scholarships, etc. Sometimes these letters have really blown me away. I think, "Is she sure she's talking about me???" :)

And then, lucky me, I get to work at PCC. So, between getting my certificate at Citrus College and the job at PCC, I know that I have made lasting relationships with people in the library field who inspire me on a daily basis. Everyone here at PCC has been incredibly encouraging. I know they are always ready and willing to help me, and I am confident that they would be there to help you, too.

Folks in the library field know the ropes and they are resourceful. The staff and faculty at the Shatford Library re dedicated to student success. And since we're in a service oriented field, you KNOW we want to help you. Don't be shy. Just ask!

I'm hoping that as fall gets underway and Gena starts to visit classes, we'll get more activity on this blog. This is definitely a great source. I wish I had had one when I was doing my certificate!! Awesome stuff, Gena! Remember, everyone, the Circulation Office door is always open if you want to stop by and say hi or if I can help in any way.

Diana

P.S. I'm starting the MLIS program in August! Hooray! I know there are some of you in the LT program who already have B.A. degrees and are thinking of doing SJSU's MLIS program. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. :)