Monday, August 07, 2006

Song Mnemonics - Help Learning Classifications

Any kid who watched ABC-TV's School House Rock knows what a conjunction is, how a bill moves through Congress and those pesky multiplication tables.

Songs can really help you remember information. When I was taking Library 103, I could not remember the Dewey Decimal System. No amount of dry reciting was sticking classifications in my head. I needed something catchy like "Interplanet Janet".

Or perhaps an old jump rope tunes like "Pizza, Pizza Daddy-O" or "Old Lady Mack aka Miss Mary Mack" A number jump rope song like "Ten-20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, A 90 is okay if you are shaky on the 10 tables but it didn't work for Dewey.

I had to simplify. I needed to get the number and the classifications together. I needed something I could say as I walked to the bus stop or doing laundry. The light bulb moment hit me at the 99 Cents Only Store.

Zero generalities books on the wall,
Zero generalities of books,
Take one down and pass it around,
Zero generalities of books on the wall.

Yep. For learning the ten major classifications of the Dewey Decimal System you can you use a time honored classic like "99 Bottle of Beer on the Wall". This does work but like anything else you have to practice it. Which I did for the mid-term but not enough for the final.
Ouch.

Library of Congress Classification system? Well I'm still working on a song that I can remember but one of my classmates, Gordon, had good luck with " A Your Adorable, B Your so Beautiful. SuDocs? - You are on your own.

Just For Fun

1 comment:

Diana said...

Gena,

You are so clever!! I too need help remembering Dewey numbers, so don't feel alone! In fact, Highsmith has a flash card Dewey game for $12 that I think I'm going to invest in. I'll let you know if it helps. :)

Diana