Sunday, March 30, 2014

Libraries Are Important - UC Berkeley Earth Sciences and Maps Library

Sometimes I get into conversations with people and the word "library is mentioned. If I am talking to younger people they don't mind the idea of a library but they won't step foot into one. That is okay, I guess because some of them are accessing library content via their devices. Still, there is a preconceived notion that libraries are not relevant to real people.

I was participating at a video storytelling workshop where my team members were assigned to a library. There were polite groans about what story can you find in a library. I tried to tell them thousands of stories but they still thought they drew a bum hand.




This video is from another team who interviewed Brian Quigley at the UC Berkeley Earth Science and Maps Library. There is one point in the video that Mr. Quigley made that is was really important. You have to have a collection and build upon that collection before you need it.

So, I don't think it matters if you are a library lover, an assistant, technician or librarian. I think we need to speak up for and encourage usage of the physical buildings called libraries. I don't think it should be analog versus digital content. It is the protection and preservation of what came before and what is to come.


No comments: